Got some old plant pots that need a makeover? Check out these fabulous ideas for painting terracotta pots – that you’ll actually want to display around the house!
If you’re as avid of a plant collector as I am, you will already be familiar with the struggle of finding cute pots. One: it’s just genuinely hard. Seriously – where’s your go-to shop? Because I need suggestions. But secondly (and yes, I am still listing) cute plant pots are so expensive.
So, if you’re a low-key plant hoarder like me, getting each and every one of your plant-babies a home is probably a no-go. Well, today’s post is here to help! I’m sharing 50 fun, easy and actually cute DIY ideas for painting terracotta pots. So go stock up on $3 terracotta pots and acrylic paint from the dollar store . . . then get out there and have fun!
Table Of Contents
- 1 1. Use Acrylic Pour Paints To Create Beautiful Marble Plant Pots
- 2 2. Use Paint & Gold Foil To Distress Plant Pots
- 3 3. Be Inspired With This Boho Chic Plant Pot Painting Idea!
- 4 4. Whip Out Your Acrylic Paints For These Easy Makeovers
- 5 5. Create A Faux Terrazzo Pattern By Painting A Terracotta Pot
- 6 6. Try These Easy Hand-Painted Terracotta Pot Ideas
- 7 7. Love Boho Home Decor? Try These Day And Night Planters
- 8 8. Try These Quirky Terracotta Pot Painting Ideas
- 9 9. Hydrodip Plant Cots For A Realistic Marble Finish
- 10 10. Simple & Stylish Gradient Plant Pot Painting Idea
- 11 11. Want A Simple, Yet Big Impact, Plant Pot Painting Idea? Try This!
- 12 12. Colorful Plant Pot Painting Idea
- 13 13. Want To Add A Touch Of Magic To A Room? This Galaxy Plant Pot Is A Must Try!
- 14 14. Perfect Idea For Painting Garden Pots!
- 15 15. Paint Whimsical Flowers Onto Pots With This Tutorial
- 16 16. Stamped Terracotta Pots (& Puns!)
- 17 17. Add Delicate Detailing To A Flower Pot
- 18 18. Go Boho With These Simple Patterned Plant Pots
- 19 19. Cheat With Decoupage!
- 20 20. Give An Old Plant Pot A Funky, Patterned Makeover
- 21 21. DIY These Quirky, Modern Planters
- 22 22. Faux Stone Spray Instantly Ages Plant Pots!
- 23 23. Use Paint Markers To Add Floral Detailing To Plant Pots
- 24 24. Create A Modern Scene With Acrylic Paints
- 25 25. Use Ink To Add Dreamy Color To An Old Pot!
- 26 26. Use Paint To Create A Confetti Pot
- 27 27. Buy Or DIY These Heart Print Plant Pots
- 28 28. Use Stencils To Create Funky Plant Pots
- 29 29. Use Lace Doilies To Create A Pattern
- 30 30. Try These More Detailed DIY Flower Pots!
- 31 31. Use A Cotton Swab To Paint Dreamy Clouds Onto Terracotta Pots
- 32 32. Aesthetic Plant Pot Painting Step-By-Step
- 33 33. Need Some Ideas For Transforming Basic Planters? Watch This.
- 34 34. Get Really Creative With Patterned Plant Pots
- 35 35. Easy Terracotta Pot Decorating Idea
- 36 36. Floral Plant Pot Painting Idea
- 37 37. Here Are Some Helpful Tips …
- 38 38. You Could Even Upcycle A Pot Into A Candle
- 39 39. Add Your House Number To Entryway Plant Pots
- 40 40. Use Neon Acrylic Pouring Paint
- 41 41. Follow This Tutorial To Make A Cat Planter
- 42 42. Paint Some Boho Plant Pot Homes
- 43 43. Create A Bear From A Plant Pot
- 44 44. Another Fab Inspiration Image!
- 45 45. Buy Or DIY These
- 46 46. Quirky Fun Inspiration
- 47 47. Simple Chalk Paint Planters
- 48 48. Geometric Patterned Plant Pot
- 49 49. Get Creative By Painting Bumblebees!
- 50 50. Add Gold Painted Detailing
Out first idea is actually from my old website – nepotism, after all, is rife! Using acrylic pouring paints is an incredibly easy way to makeover plant pots, without needing any kind of painting skill. In fact, the medium does all the work for you.
Don’t fancy a read? Check out my tutorial below:
Oh, how adorable are these? The faux aging and the gold foil . . . what a gorgeous combination. These are also incredibly easy to recreate, so it’s high impact with minimum effort. Which is exactly what I like in a craft!
Alas, this next addition isn’t a tutorial so much as an inspiration photo. However, how stylish are these modern planters? Even for total painting novices, the simple and bold geometric patterns should be easy enough to recreate.
4. Whip Out Your Acrylic Paints For These Easy Makeovers
Next up on the list is a three for one special! This handy video shares multiple artistic ideas for painting terracotta pots. I think the green one is my favourite; what’s yours?
5. Create A Faux Terrazzo Pattern By Painting A Terracotta Pot
The terrazzo trend seems to have taken the world by storm over the past few years and I am 100% here for it! This fun yellow planter is Anthropologie inspired (always a great start) and boasts a wonderfully warm bohemian color scheme. Definitely a bright and fun plant home idea!
Plus – it’s so cheap to make at home!
These planters look like something you could buy from Target! They’re so quirky and fun – I think they’d make adorable little DIY gifts too. You could easily paint some pots, pop in a succulent and gift them to friends and family.
7. Love Boho Home Decor? Try These Day And Night Planters
Can you tell that I am obsessed with modern geometric terracotta pot painting ideas? Because I love them. In fact, I’m planning to recreate some of these ideas myself – so make sure that you stay tuned for that post!
These abstract planters are adorable – and so easy to recreate! If you have a more bohemian decor scheme, these three plant pot painting ideas are absolute must tries.
Hydro-dipping is something I haven’t tried quite yet – but it’s on my to-do list! Just look at this gorgeous (and surprisingly realistic) marble effect. These plant pots are so chic; they look pretty high-end too.
If you sell on Etsy, these simple DIY plant pots could be a really inexpensive craft to make and sell. They’re so beautiful that I bet people would be more than happy to buy them!
Living for this color scheme.
Love a good plant shelfie? Me too. Check out my roundup of the best 25 DIY plant shelf ideas for more creative inspiration!
Our next idea is more abstract – but no less adorable! In my opinion, these hand-painted pots look like they could be store-bought. They’re so chic and the color scheme could easily be tailored to fit your home.
Does anyone else remember when the galaxy trend popped up everywhere? Ah, what a simpler time. Anyhoo – this galaxy-painted plant pot is ridiculously cute and I want to recreate it ASAP!
14. Perfect Idea For Painting Garden Pots!
Next is the perfect terracotta pot painting idea for the food gardener! Using a xacto knife and some paint, you can create adorable little illustrations to demonstrate exactly what you’re growing. This is definitely something I’m going to be trying over summer!
So I’ve had the idea to grow a tea garden for the longest time – and these adorable little pots would be perfect for flowers like chamomile. Not to mention how easy they are to recreate. Completely beginner friendly!
I’ve always loved vintage letter stamps for bullet journalling – but using them for plant pots is also a super adorable idea! These funky pots come with sassy plant puns, but you could easily write names, care instructions and tons of other things on them. Another perfect DIY gift idea for the gardeners in your life!
17. Add Delicate Detailing To A Flower Pot
18. Go Boho With These Simple Patterned Plant Pots
I’m definitely vibing with the monochrome patterning on these plant pots. It would be so easy to create a whole range of matching ones for your plant shelf too!
19. Cheat With Decoupage!
Admittedly, this isn’t painting – but it’s so cute that I had to include it! (Plus, you might be like me in the sense that painting something so detailed and beautiful might not be super achievable. No shame if that’s the case!)
Um, hello disco fever? I’m living for the bright colorfulness of this plant pot makeover. It looks so chic – but also pretty easy to recreate.
22. Faux Stone Spray Instantly Ages Plant Pots!
And this is yet another brilliant idea that I will be recreating in the near future. Stone spray paint can give even the most basic of pieces a wonderfully vintage and stylish finish. (It’s also a fabulous way to makeover thrift store finds!)
23. Use Paint Markers To Add Floral Detailing To Plant Pots
I am obsessed with paint markers. Like, actually obsessed. They make drawing on anything so simple and easy – including plant pots! This floral artwork idea is simply stunning – and, again, something I’m going to be trying as soon as possible.
24. Create A Modern Scene With Acrylic Paints
Oh my god, the vibes. This idea may be my favorite yet – there are so many cute (and practical) ways it could be implemented. Not to mention, color schemes. Again, there is 100% going to be a post inspired by this, so keep your eyes peeled.
25. Use Ink To Add Dreamy Color To An Old Pot!
For our next addition, we have a more high-end plant pot makeover idea! This is super easy to recreate . . . but it looks absolutely stunning.
This simple confetti-style painting idea is perfect for beginner painters. It’s so easy to make – but looks super cute!
Okay, so this one isn’t a tutorial – but, when I saw these cute heart-patterned plant pots on Etsy, I simply had to share them! You could buy them and support a small business (we definitely love that), or you could use them as inspiration for your next DIY.
Stencils are such an easy way to paint plant pots – and you easily make them yourself at home!
How adorable is this patterning? I would totally make these as a little gift for my grandma.
30. Try These More Detailed DIY Flower Pots!
Now, I know that I’ve already shared a simple flower-painting idea – but this one is so pretty that I had to include it. Plus, it’s a little more detailed so, if you want a slightly bigger project, it’s perfect!
31. Use A Cotton Swab To Paint Dreamy Clouds Onto Terracotta Pots
Our next idea is absolutely gorgeous – and shockingly straightforward! I would definitely recreate it myself.
32. Aesthetic Plant Pot Painting Step-By-Step
Um, what? How stunning are these plant pots? I’m totally shook – not to mention, deeply inspired. Again, this is a must-try project idea.
33. Need Some Ideas For Transforming Basic Planters? Watch This.
Such fabulous ideas!
34. Get Really Creative With Patterned Plant Pots
Okay, I love these pots! They’re so funky.
35. Easy Terracotta Pot Decorating Idea
I’m not sure why this doesn’t have more views – I’m totally in love with the upcycled planters!
36. Floral Plant Pot Painting Idea
Another fabulous floral painting idea! I would definitely like to recreate something like this myself – maybe even with lavender . . .
37. Here Are Some Helpful Tips …
38. You Could Even Upcycle A Pot Into A Candle
This isn’t cheating because you paint the pot first. (Right? Right?) But seriously – these is such a cute craft and you could totally use these citronella candles outside.
This is such a cute idea to decorate your front garden!
40. Use Neon Acrylic Pouring Paint
If you love neon and psychedelic home decor, you’ve got to try this fun and quirky painting idea! If this is your vibe, make sure you check out my psychedelic mirror tutorial below:
This quirky cat planter is perfect for any pet lover’s home! Plus, it’s pretty easy to recreate – especially with the detailed step-by-step tutorial.
I’m loving the fun patterns and warm color scheme of these painted terracotta plant pots.
I probably wouldn’t make this one for myself – but I can see it being a really fun project to do with kids!
44. Another Fab Inspiration Image!
I’m so obsessed with everything about this. The colors, the daisy pattern . . . I’m here for all of it!
These chalkboard plant pots are such a fun and practical idea! You could easily write care instructions like “water once a week” or “put me in full sun”.
This next idea is super beginner-friendly – and perfect for any modern home decor lovers.
49. Get Creative By Painting Bumblebees!
I love the base coat color of this pot – and the bumblebee design is so summery and fun!
Last, but certainly not least, we have a simple way to utilise gold spray paint to makeover your old flower pots!
And with that, my friends, I will release you back into the wild! I hope you enjoyed this roundup of 50 ideas for painting terracotta pots. (I sure enjoyed curating it – I now have all the inspiration!) Which of these ideas was your favorite? Would you try recreating this yourself? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!